What is coaching?
Coaching is a super powerful relationship that helps you focus and realize your visions and goals. With a Certified Professional Coach, you’ll get tools and support to remove obstacles and facilitate major transformation.
Why do people hire a coach?
Coaching could help you:
- Plan a career move
- Make your current job more fulfilling
- Get “unstuck”
- Plan your life based on what matters most to you
- Get more organized
- Create more balance in your life and move to long-term sustainability
- Focus your energy to finish or plan a project
- Increase your effectiveness as a community organizer, nonprofit worker, fundraiser, artist, healer, collective member, co-op business owner…
- Work with your team to increase productivity and effectiveness
- Start a business
- Get motivated
- Increase your income
- Make your life more fulfilling
How is coaching done?
Individual coaching is done by phone or Skype for 1-hour or 30-minute sessions, with assignments, resources and messages between us posted to our web-based coaching progress software in-between sessions.
We recommend weekly sessions to keep the momentum, but biweekly is ok too.
How long before I’m “done?”
It depends on your goals, learning style, etc. The average is 6-9 months for a major life transition or 3-6 months for smaller, shorter-term goals.
Is coaching therapy?
No. Coaching focuses on strategic planning and personal growth and doesn’t attempt to heal emotional trauma. If your coach thinks another professional like a therapist is a better fit for you, we’ll refer you to one.
What is a typical session like?
Coaching is based on self-responsibility. As the client, you set your goals for the call. Your coach follows that agenda, checking in so we can adapt as-needed.
You can expect:
- powerful and clarifying questions
- focused and fine-tuned planning tools
Depending on your interests and learning style, you or your coach might bring in:
- diagnostic assessments
- contemplative practices like meditation
- games or art-based tools
- activities that get you out of your head and into your heart and core desires
- resources from visionaries like Octavia Butler, etc.
A coaching relationship is a balance of support and accountability: Your coach will have high expectations of you and will give you lots of support as you work to embody the life you want to live.
How do we know if the coaching is working?
We use a web-based software program that keeps you on track:
* When you and your coach set goals (eg. “meditate for 10 minutes a day,”), you enter them into the software and track your progress toward those goals. You will see charts and other tools to measure what’s working.
* You’ll have homework assignments with set deadlines (eg. “Email three potential mentors by next Wednesday”); the software will email or text you reminders to get them done.
* Your coach will enter notes from our weekly sessions so you have a record of our work.
* You’ll journal about what you’re learning and what’s blocking you from taking action.
* Your questions and thoughts about the homework and your coach’s responses get logged as an activity stream, similar to a Facebook wall, so you always know where we’ve left things.
* We’ll also use the software to share worksheets, Youtube links, and other resources to help you reach your dreams!
Can’t anyone say they’re a “coach?” What qualifies you to coach activists?
Devi is a Certified Professional Coach who completed Coaching For Transformation, a rigorous yearlong certification through Leadership That Works. It’s accredited by the Association of Coach Training Organizations and by the International Coach Federation (ICF), the coaching field’s main accrediting body. The program has a fantastic reputation, lasts twice as long as many other coaching certification programs, and is famous for holding students to a very high standard.
Coaching For Transformation is a rare gem: an ICF-certified coach training program with a social justice lens, that specializes in the nonprofit sector and in working with folks from oppressed communities. Our mentors and teachers are well-respected in the coaching field.
Our coaches do continuous learning and stay connected to other coaches, to keep our coaching fresh and help advance a social justice agenda in the field.
Devi has 15 years of experience in local, state, and national leadership roles in social justice movements.
What does it cost to hire a coach?
Check out our rates at the link below.
We evaluate my sliding-scale rates about once per year. If our scale changes while you are a client, you and your coach will decide together whether to adjust your rate.
How do I afford to get a coach?
- Work at a nonprofit? Ask each of your funders if they have a technical assistance or capacity-building fund for current grantees. Even if they don’t advertise it, many foundations have one and love to do this. Since they funded your organization, they want your group to succeed (it protects their “investment”); funding coaching is an easy way for them to do that.
- Are you an artist or arts administrator in California? Check out these grants. Email us for help:
* Creative Capacity Fund’s CALI Grants and Quick Grant which provide cash each year to get you a coach.
* California Arts Council’s Professional Development and Consulting grant.
- Ask your nonprofit/business/employer if they have leadership development or professional development fund for coaching. Even if they don’t, ask them to pay for part or all of coaching as an investment in your leadership.
- Ask friends and family to chip in and get you a coaching package for your birthday or holiday. Crowdfund your life dreams.
How do I get started?
Fill out this form to schedule a free half-hour sample coaching session. If coaching’s for you, the chemistry is right, and both you and your coach decide we want to move on to the next step, we’ll schedule 1-2 discovery (intake) sessions about your life dreams and go from there!