Hey intergalactivists! Try this ritual to start the new year with the best intentions
(Feel free to share this! Please credit The Intergalactivist: Life Coaching for Visionary Activists for this post and email us to let us know how it goes!)
* Depending on the size of the group, it could take 90 minutes or more.
* a group of friends (can be done with everyone in the same physical location or with folks in different locations using Skype/Google Hangout/etc.)
* some sheets of paper (at least 2 sheets per person)
* markers (I recommend using scent-free/low-scent non-toxic ones so folks with cancer, AIDS, etc. don’t get sick from the fumes of a sharpie or scented markers. standard Crayola ones seem to work for me.)
* supplies for a visual art piece: crayons, watercolor paint, color pencils, stickers, magazines, etc.
* a crap ton of bright index cards (enough for at least 10 per person)
* printouts for each person of the document at http://www.baynvc.org/materials/UNIVERSAL_HUMAN_NEEDS.pdf
* a timer (online, on your phone, etc.)
* a lighter
* a place to burn stuff safely and legally or whatever. ps don’t hold me responsible for your fire, ok?
1) Have someone in your group of friends set a timer for 5 minutes. On a sheet of paper, make three columns. Label the first column “What I’m letting go of.”
2) Start the clock! In that first column, make a list of everything from the past year or earlier that you want to let go of.
3) At the end of the 5 minutes, set the timer to 10 minutes. Label the third column “What I’m inviting in the new year.”
4) Start the clock! List everything you intend to do and everything you intend to be in the coming year.
5) At the end of the 10 minutes, set the timer to 10 minutes. Label the fourth column “Because what matters most to me is…”
6) Start the clock! Take your Universal Human Needs document and match each item you want to invite into the new year with the reason you’re you’re inviting it in. For example, if you’re inviting in that dream job, are you inviting it in because what matters most to you is Peace of mind? Dignity? Expression? You may also want to list in this column the needs that are met by letting go of the items in the first column.
7) At the end of the 10 minutes, set the timer for 5 minutes.
8) Start the clock! On each index card, write one thing you’re letting go of.
9) At the end of the 5 minutes, have each person gather with their newly filled-out index cards around whatever makeshift safely burning fire you’ve created (or separate fires or a youtube video of a fire, if you’re doing it online). Each person can cast their cards into the fire at their own pace, with or without reading aloud what’s on the cards.
10) When that’s done, set the timer to 20 minutes.
11) Start the clock! Take a blank sheet of paper and make a visual representation of what you’re inviting in the new year and what needs and values matter most to you. Drawings, word clouds, stickers,…I like to put a few drops of a plant essence like Shootingstar Botanicals’ Activist Support essence on mine. Get creative
12) At the end of the 20 minutes, take 15 minutes or as much time as you need to share your collages with the group. Ask if anyone in the group can help you accomplish your goals: Can they be a buddy to support you and hold you accountable to these goals (and if so, how and how often will you check in?)? Can they hook you up with a resource? Do they want to get involved with your project? Get bold with this; your friends are here to support your dreams!